Monday, December 26, 2011

Review - Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi


Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co., 2010
Hardcover 326 pages


Seeing as I'm on a break from college and all of the "serious" reading that I have to do for my classes, I was determined that for my winter break I would read nothing but "fluff". Apparently, my fluff is dystopian young adult literature. Ship Breaker is a fantastically well written story or a time when the planet is wracked with "city-killer" hurricanes, the gulf coast is a graveyard for oil tankers, and children like Nailer live a rough existence breaking down the big ships for salvage for large global corporations. Nailer is a different kind of character, he's tough like the other kids, but also has a true moral compass that guides him into a tricky situation when he decides to save the life of a young girl shipwrecked off his beach.

Though Bacigalupi doesn't go into rich world building like I generally like in my fantasy novels, he gives just enough detail through Nailer to get a sense of how the young boy sees his own world. The constant action will make this book hard to put down for any teen, or adult.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Beyond the Stacks Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template