Monday, January 2, 2012

Review - The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown


The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
Publisher: Putnam's Sons, 2011
Hardcover 320 pages




The Weird Sisters grew up in a kind of family that I had wished everyday for as a child. A childhood where books occupied a central role in the family, especially those by the Bard. This book follows the three Andreas sisters as they come home to heal their own wounds as well as that of their mother, who was diagnosed with breast cancer. They all move back under their parent's roof, all with secrets that are crushing them, yet they can't seem to let out. This book is a wonderful journey into not only sisterhood, but about how all of us, no matter what point in life we are at, have the capacity to change direction.

As a side note, this wonderful book also happened to mention a favorite childhood game of mine called Spite and Malice. I always thought that this game was a peculiarity of my grandparents who taught it to me because it seems like everyone I ask has no idea what I'm talking about. Imagine my surprise then when the book mentioned the game with the following quote:
"Rose had taken a long walk, and when she'd gotten back Bean had been nearly desperate enough to suggest a game of Spite & Malice, a card game we had played as children that was terrible with only two player..."

Oddly enough, I've only ever played it with two players and thought it perfectly fine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Beyond the Stacks Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template